Thursday, April 24, 2008

I'M BACK

Ow yes, for those of you that didn't know I went on a 5 day trip to Vienna, which I will tell you all about, later. But for the moment I'm sort of stuck in that twilight zone everyone experiences when sitting on a bus filled with illegal eastern European immigrants for 18hours. And those 18 hours became 20 hours when the entire bus was pulled over by a bunch of Russian mobsters who turned out to be police for 'ein papier kontroll'.
I've experienced a lot of weird things in my life but this...











Tom Waits-Lowside Of The Road

So imagine this : 'It's like 6 something in the morning and still mostly dark, the bus stops and i'm only half awake when all the lights come on. So when my eyes where finally adjusted to the light this guy tells me, even before he saw my passport, and 7 other girls to get of the bus. So there we where, in the middle of nowhere on some country road without even a single street light. Lined up and again unable to see shit because now we had to face the headlights of the cop cars. So as my already smelly converse where sinking deeper in the mud and the Jagermeister I had been drinking on the bus was giving me a migraine from hell, I figured, fuck it: cigarette break. People that travel and smoke know that your first reaction when the vehicle stops will be 'reach for cigarettes.' So as I was looking for a lighter, this huge guy walks over, wearing a black leather jacket that took at least 3 cows to make. So I look up trying to see what his face looks like and turn a bit so that he would would stand in a way that the car lights might actually hit his face. This did not work, he kept doing his badass detective shadow thing, while the moving only caused the cold mud to sink into my socks. And as 2 other men where moving around in the bus, probably telling people to remove their watches and put it in the bag, the 'Policeman' watches me fumble with my cigarette and asks: 'Where you from?' I tell him and he continues his little interrogation by asking why I was in Romania. I explained I did not go to Romania but got on in Vienna to which he responds in a dark:' This bus come from Bucuresti'

On a side note I'm pretty sure this bus didn't go further than Hungary but whatever.

So futher down the line up I hear this girl go something like: 'Why, no listen, why?!?. I just like your country. Ow, I don't believe this....To make pictures of beautiful place, like tourist...I have lived there, I might do work there.' Going back and forth from English to German and back to Hungarian or Romanian or Polish for all I know.
Meanwhile my cop turns his attention back to me and reaches in his pocket. He gets out a lighter, lights it and says:'You need fire, no?' So after he had lit my cigarette he puts his Brian O'Connor hand on my shoulder looks at the arguing girl and says something like: 'Everything will be allright.' And walked of.'

Yeah, well this exactly is where I started to get worried.


The other cops came out of the bus, had a little meeting and continued questioning some of the other girls for another 45 minutes or so. I'm not sure what it was all about, but for some reason I don't believe they where German police. I've had those things and they tell the girls things like: you know it's for your own safety right, how much money do you have, who are you meeting, where is your return ticket and where are you staying. And in contrary to the other police controls, this time they didn't even look at my passport.

But it's cool to know that I could fit in the 'possible illegal prostitute' line up.

I'm sorry if the story has a bit of an anticlimax, but let's just say it not the first anticlimax I've caused this week.

NERO

No comments: